Monday 1 August 2011

Dubai

So here I am in Dubai, I am so exhausted! Ramadhan has started, which means No smoking, Eating, or Drinking in public. My flight was cancelled and Emirates put me up in their hotel for free along with breakfast and lunch. I TRIED to fast, but I almost passed out of heat exhaustion. The food I believe I could do without eventually, with practice, discipline etc... But water... No way no how.

Dubai has been an interesting experience. I am super weary of offending people and especially here where I am quite out of my league. I have had plenty of experience dealing with Muslims before, but there has never been such a big barrier. For once I am out of MY zone, then there is the language, culture, law... It's not that I am scared in any way, it is that I am afraid of offending somebody simply by trying to be polite. A Muslim woman wearing a full Hijab got into an elevator by herself, and I was not sure I should get in the elevator. Ultimately I pretended to be fully busy and the elevator closed. When in doubt I guess...

oops last call for my flight!!! ciao!

2 comments:

  1. hahahha aw luiz i literally lol-ed. i'm sure it would have been fine had you gotten in with her, she wouldn't be offended. if she was wearing just a hijab you could even shake her hand... or did you mean niqab?
    either way, as long as you don't touch her or show her your wang i'm sure it's fine. you're a foreigner, rules that apply to local men are different for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah but Xio, you have seen Bali. i am not one to so openly flout customs and traditions... and i guess it wasn't a hijab, full outfit then, covering everything even eyes, with a small gauze net to see through. and i asked around later, was definitely NOT a good idea to get in there with her. massively inappropriate. i could get away with it as a foreigner, but that's not the point :)

    ReplyDelete