Sunday 14 August 2011

A routine day in the life of Me

I thought I would describe a day in my life so far here in Cairo, seeing as I haven't updated very often.

My day usually begins around 9 A.M. when I get up and get ready for work. After the alarm goes ff, I stretch, and begin to open my window. Every day, without fail, I get to stare at the Great Pyramids of Giza before my full on day of routines begin. Once my mind actually settles back to a state of normality, and I have had my shower, I proceed to catch a taxi into the city.

Giza is by metropolitan standards, a suburb. It is roughly a half an hour ride out from 'work' (play) and is usually quite pleasant. 4/5 times my Taxi won't try to rip me off (too badly i assume) but there are those days (like) today where they charge you a 'little bit extra' (3 times the price). when such a thing occurs, I politely (rudely) inform them of their mistake (tell them they are flat out wrong) and proceed to gently (forcefully) hand them the correct (still overpriced most likely) amount.

Work at the moment is a small cafe in an area called Zamalek. Along with Maadi, Zamalek is considered to be a world in its own, because the expat community tends to reside (seclude themselves) within. There I spend my days, usually from 11 A.M. until roughly 4-6 PM writing (on facebook), researching, and publishing articles for BikyaMasr. after this time period, I either find myself wandering the sprawling (crippling) metropolitan in search of current events (drama unfolding). At some point, someone (everyone) somewhere (everywhere) is doing something (awesome).

Because of Ramadan, people in Cairo become nocturnal (hungry, cranky and thirsty). Shops close around Iftar (thats 7 PM here Xiomara) and reopened once they have had their celebratory feast. any social gathering I have attended thus far, no matter how minute, and despite my best intentions of finally getting to bed early (1 am), I always end up being awake until well... Early (usually just before Suhoor, which is the meal before the sunrise).

Rinse, Repeat.


Truth be told my days are so full and hectic that the general structure remains somewhat the same, but the experiences vary wildly! Today for example, I attended my first meeting with a language exchange group. sadly I was the only foreigner there, which meant that by and large we spoke in English mainly. on the plus side however, i learnt a great deal more about Islam, Ramadan and what has been happening here during the revolution.

Most of the people there were university graduates; Egyptians graduating from med school, engineers, chemical engineers, commerce and business majors etc. One of my friends from the meeting works with an NGO here in Cairo, providing plumbing, electricity, food and medicine, housing and emotional support. Once my schedule is fully sorted out in regards to work, I will be working with the NGO if possible, volunteering with the homeless kids at least once a week.

the other day, I met this British girl who scored me an interview with her company. it is an English teaching company and it means I will finally be making some bank! I have also had the pleasure of keeping company with an Egyptian girl who happens to know everyone and everything (wild exaggeration I am sure, but she knows a lot!). we spent a good 2-3 days walking around town, attending an Egyptian reggae concert, a Sufi performance, a wicked party and overall just amazing times.

the Expat community here is quite tight knit. everybody seems to know somebody you know, and they all do amazing things here (be it studying at AUC, free-lance journalists, doctors, teachers, you name it). and no matter how much we all may hate Cairo at one point or another, I can say for certainty that we all call this home.


over and out

No comments:

Post a Comment