Monday 25 July 2011

Last few days in Bali!!


So I am in my final stretch here in Bali before I arrive in Egypt! life here has been so good, it has  really opened my eyes. I have spent nights n the beach staring at the stars, I have thought a lot about life and what it is I want to do. I have a meeting with a notary on Thursday to discuss how the Amed Children's Basic Education Program will be set up, what needs to be done to make it a legitimate, functioning entity. also today I have managed to set up an encounter with the Jodie O'Shea orphanage so my mother and I can see what it is we can do to help out the children here.

People have been calling me delusional, or too optimistic, so I want to take this opportunity to explain something to everyone who comes across this blog:

You are delusional if you believe that you can't make a difference in the world. Sure, I won't cure cancer. Sure I wont unify the Middle East. Sure, I wont save the planet by myself. But I tell ya, whatever I do, so long as I work towards the betterment of society (that's EVERYONE, not a certain group alone) then I will have contributed a trillion times more than those who don't. Do you ever wonder why the world around you looks bleak and crazy? It's because we are all too fatalistic to realize that we all have a duty to improve the quality of our lives and those around us, as well as the natural environment. We can make all the difference to one or two people, and the more people we help, the more people will be able to help others. so g out there, save a life, plant a tree, teach a child, educate your community, help your neighbor.


Luiz, Over and Out

1 comment:

  1. You're so right. Every time I hear people saying "one person can't make a difference" I think of Allison at Jodea O'Shea Orphanage. She's a regular person, like you and me, and has made a world of difference.

    You don't need to be rich, famous, or well-connected to do something. You just need to be driven.

    ReplyDelete