Tuesday 5 July 2011

Off the Grid

I decided to go off the grid for a bit whilst in Newcastle. I am here visiting a friend from when I first moved to Sydney. Newcastle is amazing, it’s nice and quiet, and the beach here is awesome! As I write this I am on a beach having a fresh juice and watching the surf. There is something special about Australia, specifically New South Wales, which I just love. I am staying with my friend Paige Haggerston, a beautiful, young and talented woman who has always been so kind and welcoming to me.

People call me naive, but there is nothing wrong in seeing the best in people. And it’s because of that trusting and loving nature in individuals that I can even be here, enjoying the company of people I love. Without the kindness found in hearts of people such as Paige and her family, the world would be a nasty place indeed. Fitting then, that here I am, planning to interview Paige for my latest blog project.

I have decided to start a blog, inspired by my good friend Xiomara, to document my travels (obviously). During one of our frequent online conversations, I shared a fear I have; that this world is in need of heroes. We live in an age riddled with violence, mistrust and preconceived notions of right and wrong. We are told who we are, what we must do, who we have to become... we are encouraged to think for ourselves within pre-set boundaries, but true freedom of the mind and body are limited. Success is measured in capital wealth and end goals. It’s not about whom you ARE, it’s about where you FIT in society. In light of this I wanted to write a book, to document all those amazing people in the world that refuse to conform within anybody’s expectations but their own. They can work within the system, or without. They can be rich or poor, moral or no. They are meant to inspire us, titans of our world; those that have recognised the maze we all traverse day to day, and have either come to understand this maze and move through it thus at their own leisure, and those that refuse to accept the boundaries set before them, traversing through walls as if they never existed.

And so we spoke for hours. The end result was an idea for a blog. Since that night the idea has grown, taken shape and life. What I want to get out of this project is a positive, hopeful perspective on the future. I want to show the world that anything is possible if your mind and body is focused, and your efforts are directed properly. This new blog which I hope will be up and running by next month will hopefully come to be a source of inspiration for the younger generations, showing us we are truly the masters of our own lives and the architects of our success. I cannot take credit for this alone. Working with me are two of my closest friends, people that have helped shape my mind over the last few years; my friends, my mentors, my family. Xiomara Hurni-Craston will be operating from Israel and Daniel Mackisack from Cairo with me. Between the three of us there is nothing we cannot achieve and the same can be said of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment